The greatest baking combination known to mankind is …. the Jam Bun! A delicious mix of bun cakery and jamtastic jam … give in to deliciousness
- 100g margarine or butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour (I used a 50:50 mix of white to wholemeal)
- 1 large ‘dollop’ of jam (about 50g)
- 1 medium sized egg
- Preheat the oven to about 18o oC/ Gas Mark 4 for 15 minutes. (You may need to alter the times depending on your oven. I use a fan oven and so need less time for it to heat up and bake the cakes).
- Place the margarine or butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well. This is called creaming and you need to use a wooden spoon and ‘set your arm to no.3′ and go for it! … Or you can use an electric whisk for a few minutes. The fat and sugar mixture should appear pale once you have finished.
- Now add a little of the egg and mix it in well each time. Resist the temptation to just bung all the egg in at once because the egg won’t be be incorporated properly.
- Now add the flour in the same way; a little at a time and mix well. It might end up looking a bit dry but don’t stress because now …
- add the dollop of jam and mix again. This will give some more moisture to the mixture and you should get a nice cake batter.
- Now place cake papers in a baking tray and add a soup spoonful of mixture into each cake paper (this recipe makes about 12-15 depending on the size of your spoon and cake papers!).
- Bake in the top of the oven for 15 minutes or so and then check the cakes with a knife to see if it comes out clean, if not then leave the cakes in for another 5 minutes and check again. As I use a fan oven I place the cakes in the middle of the oven and check after 10 minutes. You know your own oven so use your own judgement.
- Allow the jam buns to cool on a wire rack and then they are ready to freeze or enjoy straight away with a nice cuppa.