Courtesy of the way back machine this is from Marge Land 2007
(Sent in by Brother of Marge) This is a gorgeous dessert, well worth the effort especially on cold winter nights – and days!
Ingredients for Apple Custard:
- sugar (about 1/5th sugar to apple)
- pureed apples (3-4 medium sized)
- egg yolks (min 2, add more to make custard more ‘puddingy’)
Ingredients for Apple Mousse:
- apple custard
- 2-4 egg whites beaten to the soft peak stage (amount depends upon how much apple custard you have)
- To make the apple purée just peel and chop the apples. Place in a microwave bowl and cook on high for about 3-4 minutes.
- Heat the apple purée and sugar until smooth (use a wooden spoon to mix).
Take the pan off the light and add the egg yolks.
- Mix well to uniformity. (You can serve the custard now on its own, or with apple mousse. If you are making the mousse you will need to pre-heat the oven to a medium heat for 20 minutes).
- To make apple mousse, spoon the beaten egg whites into the apple custard.
- Fold the egg whites and apple custard together until thoroughly combined – but done gently.
- Place the mixture into a shallow oven proof dish and ‘toast’ the mixture until a golden brown top forms (similar to a meringue topping on baked alaska).